Hey guys, thanks for checking out the blog today and learning how to add a little more discipline to your life. I really believe that if we were honest with ourselves everyone would agree that they could use more discipline in certain areas of their life. I know I could – that’s why I have created a discipline boot camp for myself for the next 90 days. If this is your first time here then please check out the earlier post in this series; you can check them out here:
- Discipline Boot Camp Part 1,
- Discipline Boot Camp Part 2,
- Discipline Boot Camp Part 3,
- Discipline Boot Camp Part 4.
In today’s post, I am going to discuss our need for gathering information in developing our Internal Operating System. As we develop a healthy Internal Operating System we will gain the ability to successfully apply the “app” of discipline to our life. Now, before we get into this fourth point, I want to make it clear that this information is based on my study of Dr. Townsend’s book The Entitlement Cure.
Are you ready for Step 4? Let’s do it!
Step 4: Gather Information and Expertise
Proverbs 1:1-4 (NLT) – These are the proverbs of Solomon, David’s son, king of Israel. Their purpose is to teach people wisdom and discipline, to help them understand the insights of the wise. Their purpose is to teach people to live disciplined and successful lives, to help them do what is right, just, and fair. These proverbs will give insight to the simple, knowledge and discernment to the young.
If you recall from the previous post we need to start working on worthwhile goals (big-picture goals) in the key areas of our life (spiritual, emotional, relational, and/or physical growth). As we start setting these big picture goals we then break them down into smaller short term goals and utilize our calendars. Next, we recruit health friends (friends who are for our growth) who will encourage and push us in our growth. And now we need to start gaining information and additional help. Here are two strategies:
- Start gaining insights into what you want to improve – Seriously, become a google, youtube, information junkie on the area of your life you want to improve. Start reading books and listening to podcast on the topics. Learn, explore, and study. Turn your TV off and start reading books that pertain to the area you want to improve. If you don’t like reading, you can purchase most books through Audible – I love this app. As I drive around town I can listen to leadership books or spiritual growth books to continue my learning.
- Recruit a mentor in your key area of growth – I have done this through the years; there was a time that I wanted to learn more about small group ministry so I recruited an area pastor to mentor me in my development and understanding of small groups. Also, I will reach out to area Mt Bikers who are faster than me and ask to ride with them. After the ride, I will ask for feedback on my riding style.
I guess the point I am trying to make is to be humble; have a teachable spirit. Don’t be a Know-it-all, admit that you don’t know everything, and start learning and improving. If you are in trouble in one or multiple key areas of your life then you need to realize that the level of wisdom that got you into trouble in the first place will not get you out of trouble. Don’t be a closed system – be open to new ideas, growth, and wisdom.
Step 5: Create a Discipline Boot Camp
Okay, that’s all for today; check back tomorrow for step 5 when we map out your Discipline Boot Camp. Thanks for reading and please let me know how you are progressing with your growth goals. Have a great day!
The Series Links
To view any of the posts in this series, use the links below:
- Discipline Boot Camp Part 1: https://wp.me/pajKXW-m7
- Discipline Boot Camp Part 2: https://wp.me/pajKXW-m9
- Discipline Boot Camp Part 3: https://wp.me/pajKXW-ma
- Discipline Boot Camp Part 4: https://wp.me/pajKXW-mb
- Discipline Boot Camp Part 5: https://wp.me/pajKXW-mc
- Discipline Boot Camp Part 6: https://wp.me/pajKXW-mi
- Discipline Boot Camp Part 7: https://wp.me/pajKXW-mj
Leave a comment